ISLAND view from Air Station

This island, an area of approx. 1/2 square mile and the highest point being 167 geet above sea level, is located at the mouth of Subic Bay. It has has been a natural point used to protect shipping in Subic Bay since the 16th century.  Spanish batteries were originally located around Subic Bay. However, they were not yet completed in 1898 so the Spanish decided to abandon them.

American fortifications, Fort Wint Batteries, were built between 1909 and 1919.
Battery Warwick had two 10 in. guns. In 1963 they were moved to Fort Casey, Washington State.
Battery Woodruff  had two 6 in. guns. (info missing)
Battery Flake had four 3 in. guns. In 1960 two were moved to Fort Casey, Washington State.
Battery Jewel had four  3 in. guns. In 1960 two were moved to Fort Flager, Washington State.
Battery Hall had two 6 in. guns. Partly destroyed, guns and carr, are still inplace.
This island was maintained by the US Navy until 1992 where it was turned over to the Phillipines.

See Subic Bay STORIES.......TIMELINE.......1919 History

The island is now being tapped for hotels, restaurants, golf course, and other recreational facilities. A ferry boat takes you to this beautiful island.

SUBIC BAY VIEW from old Japanese watch tower in 1983

Vern by Six inch Gun, as placed by U.S. around 1910.
See tower through trees above gun, placed by Japanese.
"This was a favorite place for Sailors, especially during the Vietnam years,
bar drinks were 10 cents at the club."


The Ellis Island of 1975.
Aboard the USS Hancock (CVA-19), Vietnamese refugees were escorted to previously designated spots in her hangar bays where hundreds of canvas cots, with blankets, had been set up. At first it was a mass of disorganized, frightened and confused humanity, which under the circumstances was normal. There were people of every age, color and description. Military personnel, old people, sick people and babies. Besides the Vietnamese, there were American civilians, including members of the press, and others of various nationalities.
We arrived back at Cubi point in the Philippines on 3 May-1975, and debarked our human cargo. Our cargo had been taken just off-shore to Grande Island, where a camp had been set up for them.
See the Hankock's "FREQUENT WIND" Story.

The USS Kawishiwi (AO-146) also brought about 400 refugees to this island.

Capt. Ned Hogan's Story.

Ammo Magazines

as placed between
1909 and 1919
by the U.S.


Grande Island Beach   -  A major swimming hole for Servicemen
The best part are the water colors, spectacular for diving.